Sunday, August 17, 2014

Obesity - What it is really like to fight it

Obesity is the worst pandemic we are presently facing. Everybody has heard dozens of theories of what you should eat to live healthy and loose weight but still many people are obese. So why is that? Are humans masochistic or downright stupid since they know that excessive overweight might kill them?

As a person who has recently lost 20 kgs I can tell you one thing: Loosing weight is extremely tough and sometimes almost impossible, since extreme overweight is often the result of either an illness e.g. hypothyroidism (Like in my case, where it remained undiagnosed for 10 years) or additive behaviour when it comes to food. 

Let's start by explaining something: Nobody likes being obsese! I am not talking about a little belly or some pounds gained over the holidays, I am talking about severe overweight. I am still overweight and used to be obese before loosing weight and hated it. You don't feel like dressing nicely, because nothing looks good on you and when you look at your face it looks like you got your wisdom teeth out. You get out of breath by already walking up the stairs and are embarrased when someone notices. Sometimes you will even pretend you have a stone in your shoe just to have a second to take a breath. I could only sleep on my back, because if I slept on the side I would wake  up with a numb arm. You even hate going out for a meal, because no matter what you eat people keep giving you looks. If you eat a burger the looks say: "You really should go easy on that!" If you only order a salad the looks say: "Who are you kidding?" This is all very embarrasing to admit, but this is the truth.

When I decided I had enough of being obese I found a wonderful doctor, because if you have to loose more than a third of you body weight it is not done with a two week diet. Such a weightloss requires proper medical observation and support because all these quick diets from magazine can effectively endanger you health, sometimes even more than you overweight. 

I want to state that my weight loss programm is not an extreme programm and it is based on natural food and no diet shakes of similar things and as I said it is handled by a proper medical doctor.So I started with huge motivation and with it started the problems. 

The first problem was the sickness. I can handle the normal feeling of hunger quite well, but this was something else. My body was used to unhealthy food and huge amounts of salt, so when I changed my diet my body went into a sort of shock. I felt sick especially in the mornings and quite often vomited. Of course I checked  with my doctor and after checking my vitals it turned out I was physically fine. It was simply a reaction to the changes I was exposing my body to, which put in under stress. I knew I had simply to sit the matter out but then there was the little voice in my ear saying: "Isn't this supposed to be healthy? It is supposed to be good for you but it only makes you feel worse! Kick this s**t and go to McDonalds!" In the first weeks I also fainted also a couple of times due to dizzyness. So you reach the point were you wonder: "Why shall I go through with this?" But you manage it and the sickness ceases. 

The next problem are social events, which are usually a popular way of putting off the beginning of the weight loss: "Oh well, Christmas is coming in two weeks and then there is New Years... I will start just after that!" Does this sound familiar? I bet! Truth be told social events are a tough one especially in the beginning. Temptation is everywhere and very few restaurants have proper light dishes and who likes to go: "Can I have number 3 but without the sauce?" There go the looks again! You feel like a picky idiot, when you do that and feel like everybody rolls their eyes at you. Thankfully I am lucky enough to have very considered friends, who even let me pick the restaurant to make sure I can find something there (Thanks, you know who you are!).

Unfortunately not everybody is like that and you often get involved into conversations like that:

A: "Why are you just nibbling on salad?"
B: "Well, I thought it was about time I started loosing my overweight."
A: "Some fries and a cake won't kill you!"

If you don't believe me ask any overweight person in your circle of friends and I bet 90 % have had similar experiences. I am sure that A means well, but honestly this is not helping. The psychological part in loosing weight is tougher than the physical, so please if someone makes an effort support them!

These are just a few of the challenges people trying to loose weight are facing. Another one is to begin working out. Since even 10 minuntes of sport can seem like a marathon to you and worse it makes you feel like a failure when you are exhausted, when in reality you are everything but a failure. Because 10 minutes will soon turn to 15 minutes and so on.

But the point of all this is you have to make a conscious choice: Do you want to go on being obese, knowing you are most likely headed for an early grave or are you willing to make some sacrificies to become the person you have always wanted to be? I have never regretted starting despite the ocasional trowback, because I am feeling fantastic and am ready to finish "the project-me". If I could do it, you can do and believe someone who has been there: It is worth it!

To all the people in the circle of friends and family of an obese person:

If they take the step support them, as it is tough enough as it is and longterm it might safe their life and avoid making fun of overweight persons as it is hard enough as it is. 



No comments:

Post a Comment