Friday, October 24, 2014

Writing update #5 and back to the stage

Something I have been thinking about for a long time if finally taking shape: I have founded a theatre company! 

When I say "I" I actually mean me and some very talented young people I have recenty met. Technically we are still nameless, since we are looking for name that reflect the uniqueness of our group. We are a spanish-speaking group that is based in southern Germany. If you have any suggestion or ideas, please feel free to put them into the comment section. We'd really appreciate it!

My colleagues surprised me, when they decided that we should perform the play I am presently writing/editing, which I consider an incredible hornour. This made me also the director, which means that I will have my hands full. Therefore I will only play small role but nonetheless I will return to the stage. You cannot imagine how exciting it is to see character you have created come to life. As an artist this is probably the most exciting thing I have ever experienced, as it truly gives you the feeling of creating something.

I am also very really excited because the quality of the actors has exceeded my wildest expectations and everybody is very dedicated, which makes me very proud to be a part of this team. Thank you guys!

Since it turns out there is already a play named "the interview" so I have decided to rename it "the motive" (I know the title is very John Grisham, but as stated before I am bad with titles.). It is coming along nicely and I am optimistic that we will premiere it in spring time. It is a thriller, where a journalist interviews a convicted serial killer. In the end the audience will have a different view of terms like justice and law. 

It surprised me to realise that again I have put some very personal things into my work. I was once a law student and actually quit due to conscentious reasons, after a child murderer was brought to trial in the town I was studying. It was that moment, when I realised that I could never defend a person guilty of such horrible crimes. 

Apparantly it is true, what they say: If you want to write well, write about what you know.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As you can imagine this means that the translation of my novel "In the Shadow of History" is presently on hiatus. I am about halfway done with it (Including some major editing) and once I am finished, I will edit it again before handing it to a professional proof-reader and editor. 

It pains me a bit that I am not done with it yet but it is a very hard work, since the mere translation also lacks the fun of the proper creative process and therefore I often prefer writing over this work, as I have to admit. 

The good part is, that I have already started developing ideas for the second part also three other stand alone novels (Yes, I know ideas are not enough, unless you work them out!).

As you can see I am keep myself rather busy and am developing some interesting projects!

Love, 
Maria Lorca

No comments:

Post a Comment