Friday, April 20, 2012

Political Correctness and Humor. A contradiction?

Before writing about this sensitive topic I want to state two things about myself.

First of all I am an extremely tolerant person, in my honest opinion as long as the people involved in your actions are consenting adults and nobody gets hurt do as you please. I am proud to have friends with lots of different cultural backgrounds and love to learn about other cultures and their values. I am stating all this so explicitly to make sure that people are aware that hurting someone just because he is different to me is the LAST thing on earth I would do. So if anybody feels offended by the article I am about to write I apologize, as it is in no way my intention to offend or hurt anybody.

The second thing is that I love to laugh! I laugh at many things including myself no matter if the jokes are clever, satiric, sophisticated, goofy, naughty...as long as they are funny I laugh at them and this is where the problem for many people seems to start.

Of course humor is always a matter of taste, what one finds funny the other thinks of as boring and viceversa and when political correctness is involved the line you have to walk gets even thiner. I know we all have some things we are sensitive about but we should ask ourselvesif someone makes a joke about it, the following: Is this person trying to hurt ME or are they just trying to make people laugh and make sure people have a good time? I think in this situation it is important to check from this point of view. Being spanish one joke I often make myself is: "We cannot do proper economy but at least we can do soccer", so why should I be offended if someone else makes the joke hile it is ok if I make it? I also laugh dearly about jokes on the cost of women's parking abilities or our habit of going to the toilet in groups. Girls think about it: We actually GO to the toilet in groups! There are lots of examples for this sort of jokes and if you think about it they have one thing in common. The jokes are not about the actual people but about the clichés regarding some groups of people! In a way a cliché is a "mild predjudice", so if we make fun about a cliché we are making fun of a predjudice.

Political correctness is a good thing don't get me wrong. It was and is important for people to become aware of what minorities might find offensive and to avoid these things, but these days I often get the feeling that we are starting to over-do it.

An example is something I heard some time back about spanish grammar. In spanish (for those of you who don't speak it) there are two versions of the pronom "they" one is "ellos" for men and the other one is "ellas" for women, so far so good. If the group you are refering to is of both sexes you use the male "they" ellos. I as a woman have absolutely no problem with that, but apparantly other women have, as now they are changing that and it is now grammatically correct to use "ellas" if the majority in the group consists of  women. In theory this means that before talking about them you should  check if there are more women or men in the group! In my opinion when it comes to these extremes we are absolutely missing the point. Does this seriously matter to someone?

On the other hand it is a reality that usually women earn less money than men for doing the exact same job or people of african descent are not let into clubs simply because of their skin colour. Just to name two examples where there is still "work to be done". Aren't these the things we should be aiming at instead of the political correctness of jokes?

I personally think we should relax, when it comes to humor in the aspects of political correctness and put the focus for political correctness where is belongs, the real world! In humor it is about laughing, preferably at ourselves. It is not the real world, but a place to forget about the real world and just laugh.

6 comments:

  1. Great approach to a topic coming more and more relevant in this Corporate World of us...
    Below link to an awesome exploration of offensive jokes by Jimmy Carr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagayzX2T7Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the video!I like his argument regarding the final joke, as it goes pretty much in the same direction as my article.
    Some of his jokes are really dark humor but still pretty good from my point of view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Political correctness? Let's share a joke about political currupt-ness! If it's funny laugh, if not, the joke either isn't funny, or you're PC and probably don't laugh a lot anyway. In fact, that would make sense as most PC types are BORING. Loved your post - glad you aimed most of your jokes at women (haha!) ; ) J.D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a ton! I aimed the jokes at women on purpose so people realise I am consequent and aim polically incorrect jokes at a group to which I belong.And the "toilett-group-thing" is true anyhow. But not worries, can aim lots of jokes at men too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "it is a reality that usually women earn less money than men for doing the exact same job"

    Nah, it isn' - not in the developed world anyway.

    This is one of many such studies. The mean wage is smaller but there are many reasons for this.

    https://www.stlouisfed.org/publications/re/articles/?id=2160

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a similar article and the point is of course, that you have to compare the wages in the same position, because there will always be a wage gap when comparing a primary school teacher's wage to a lawyer's wage regardless of the sex.

      I have search for a statistic comparing the wages in the same jobs. So far I could find, that male nurses earn more than female nurses and that is where thing go wrong. Two people doing the SAME job should earn the same.
      I work in a male dominated sector and I know for a fact that women in this sector earn much less than men for doing the exact same job, with the same training (At least here in Germany that still happens quite often). In my case I can tell you that I have 15 years of work experience and have never taken a break for child care (I don't have children) and work even more hours than my male colleagues.

      Personally I believe that the background of this is the following (I have not facts on this, but it is a theory):

      Women are expected to leave the job sooner or later to have a family, meaning that the employer is forced to look for a replacement, therefore they offer a lower salary so that at least if he has to replace her in 2-3 years he will have saved money. Also this results in less job offers for women, so it is more likely that she will accept the lower salary.

      Delete