Monday, April 16, 2012

Why I write

A lot of people ask me, why I write. At the age of 33 and with a more or less good job, most people are thinking about settling down and spending time with friends and family, while I put a lot of effort and time into writing. So the question is absolutely valid and before writing this I had to ask myself: Why do I write?

First of all I want to clarify that although I have only started about one year ago to publish things (mostly through this blog) and to talk about it, I have been writing since I was about 15 years old. It started as way to sort out my confused teenage thoughts but quickly turned to something more. Writing or story telling is for me a way to experience new things. I guess you could refer to it as "mind travelling", which I hope doesn't sound too spiritual. If you tell a story it is all about empathising into your characters and situations. Sometimes this experience can be quiet intense and that is for me the most amazing thing when I am writing. Some of you might have experienced something like that when reading a good book, thinking "I so can relate to this". In a way the writer binds his emotions when writing and the reader relives them when reading. Take a second to think about how amazing this truely is!

I think what differs me from most writers is that often (not always of course) I simply let the story grow and run its course. Basically I just start writing to see where it leads me (A good example for this is my short story "Kane Mansion" you can find in the english writing section). Often I have a vague idea where I want to get with the story and then its developement surprises me. Most writers have a previous plan, but I prefer to write like this, since the story then seems much more organic to me, instead of doing an unnatural twist just to take it, where I had intended to take it from the beginning on.

Interesting as this has just happened with the entry, while I wanted to write "why" I write I ended up explaining on "how" I write. But in a way there lies this answer already.

Most people might think, that you only are a writer if you do it for a living, but I don't think so. I am a writer because I have to write. It is as essential to me as breathing. There is no other way for me to be happy, but to be writing. That is why I write and I am sure that all artists can relate to this feeling no matter if they are musicians, painters, writers, actors or sculptors. Art is not a choice it is who we are.

This blog entry is especially dedicated to all my artist friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment